iBIO Commends Governor Pritzker and the Illinois Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity (DCEO) for making life sciences industry one of the key pillars in the state’s 5-year blueprint for jobs. Earlier today Governor Pritzker and Illinois DCEO Director Erin Guthrie announced the release of DCEO’s 5 year plan: A Plan to Revitalize the Illinois Economy and Build the Workforce of the Future.
The plan focuses on some of the key challenges outlined in iBIO’s 2019 State of the Industry. Notably the plan identifies the life sciences industry as one of the key pillars and includes a number of provisions to support economic growth:
- Invest in facilities that encourage collaboration between researchers, industry
- Give startups access to the R&D Tax Credit
- Work with Industry to identify regulatory hurdles
- Build wet lab space & provide tax incentives for the private development of wet lab space
- Work with the community college board and industry stakeholders to address workforce issues
- Work with the Illinois Treasurer’s office to prioritize life sciences and biopharma investment
- Update and fund an SBIR Matching program in Illinois, one of iBIO’s key legislative priorities from this past year
Over the past year, iBIO has worked closely with the Governor’s office and DCEO to raise awareness on some of these issues. We look forward to continuing to work with the state to address some of our major challenges and grow the life sciences industry in Illinois.
Thank you to Governor Pritzker, and Illinois DCEO Director Erin Guthrie for your leadership.
You can read the full report here: A Plan to Revitalize the Illinois Economy and Build the Workforce of the Future